- Research & Development Sensors
- R&D Battery Safety CAN Sensor
R&D Battery Safety CAN Sensor
This CAN based Battery Safety sensor measures:
- Absolute pressure from 0.2 to 5.5 Bar,
- Temperature from -30 to 120 degrees C,
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) in ppb,
- Equivalent CO2 (eCO2) in ppm,
- H2 in ppm,
- Absolute Humidity in mg/m^3,
- Dew point temperature.
The unit features a replaceable air filter.
The configurable CAN bus speed and address along with the supplied DBC file allows easy integration into almost any vehicle with a CAN bus. This sensor can be used in battery systems to detect early failures due to cell venting.
Our previous iteration of this Battery Safety Sensor, the Air Quality Sensor, was used in our own battery failure experiment which can be viewed here: Use of Metis CAN Air Quality Sensor to Detect Cell Venting.
The choice of 6 pin IP67 connector or 300mm pig tail, wide ranging input voltage and the small size and mass of the unit allows easy interface into most vehicles.
1 x R&D Battery Safety CAN Sensor
1 x Sensor connector with 10 x crimps
Whilst in operation it is not unusual for the eCO2 values to drift. Re-calibration of the eCO2 reading may be required intermittently.